The law firm of Corbett, Anderson, Corbett, Vellinga & Irvin, L.L.P. is the oldest law firm in Sioux City, Iowa. It was established in 1896 when Edward M. Corbett began his practice in Sioux City. Edward, the son of Irish immigrants named Maloney, was born in Elizabeth City, New Jersey, in 1868. At a young age, his parents died of tuberculosis and Edward was sent west on an orphan train. He was eventually taken in by a family in Cherokee County, Iowa, named Corbett. While never formally adopted, Edward became known by his neighbors as the "Corbett kid" and he used the name of his foster parents.
After the death of his foster parents, Edward moved to Sioux City where he attended Morningside College. While in school, he worked for Sioux City attorney, Prince Albert Sawyer, in exchange for room and board. He graduated from Morningside in 1894 and then attended the University of Iowa College of Law. He established his own practice in a building at the corner of 4th and Nebraska Streets in Sioux City. He practiced law in Sioux City until his death in 1940.
Edward was followed into the practice of law by his three sons, Edward, Carlton, and Stanley. The Corbett firm gained a reputation for its real estate and transactional practice. In 1946, the firm moved to the then-new Security National Bank building, where it is still located today. In 1961, John Anderson joined the firm, becoming the first non-family member. Charles Corbett became the third generation of his family to practice law in Sioux City when he joined the firm in 1972.
Today, the firm has grown to include five attorneys with a support staff of eight. It serves clients in Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. Despite its growth, the firm still retains the commitment to client service that Edward started more than 100 years ago.
Contact Corbett, Anderson, Corbett, Vellinga & Irvin, L.L.P., to speak to a Sioux City business and real estate attorney. We welcome your questions.